12th November 2013
Did you know … just registering your child for Free School Meals means that the school gets extra money and your child benefits in other ways too?
Register now to make sure nobody misses out.
The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’. In common with most schools, it is likely that a number of parents/carers whose children attend Liscard fail to claim Free School Meals (FSMs), even though they are entitled to them.
For every child registered Liscard Primary School gets £900 this year.
Please register now to make sure your child and others in their class don’t miss out.
How does it work?
1. First, check if you qualify – it is not just if you are unemployed, so please look at the list further down.
2. Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify please do one of the following:
- contact Wirral Borough Council on 0151 606 2002 or email email@example.com
- complete an application form – this can be obtained from school or from www.wirral.gov.uk (typefree school meals into the search box at the top)
- contact school who will help you to register
3. If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that’s great – they will get the free meal (saving you over £350 a year and preparation time), and other benefits and the school gets £900 extra.
4. If you don’t want your child to have the school meals they can continue as normal – as long as you qualify and are registered, the school still gets £900 extra and you still benefit from the savings detailed below.
I am sure you will agree the children at our school can only benefit if we are able to attract additional funding. Not only that, our catering team provides an excellent range of healthy lunch options that are enjoyed daily by a significant number of our pupils. Your child may well be able to access these free of charge.
If you are eligible for and claim FSMs, you will also be provided with other services by the school, such as:
- Free access to the Breakfast Club which provides a healthy breakfast
- Half-price Educational Trips
- Half-price Music Tuition for Year 5 and 6 pupils – Violin or Guitar
- Voucher to purchase item of school uniform
- Access to additional support for your child’s learning and/or well-being
No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
Please talk to us about registering your child today.
Do you qualify?
In order to claim FSMs a parent/carer must be claiming one of the following benefits:
- Income Support, or
- Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance, or
- Guaranteed Pension Credit, or
- Child Tax Credit with a total annual taxable income of less than £16,190 and are NOT receiving Working Tax Credit, or
- Have successfully obtained asylum status, or
- People who claim Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
Your nearest One-Stop-Shop may also be able to help.
Come and talk to us if you’re not sure.