Back to School - September 2020
27th August 2020
We know that many of you may be feeling anxious about returning to school next week. We understand this.
The Local Authority have published lots of Back to School Guidance and information on their website (see link below) which we are sure everyone will find useful.
Some additional questions you might have may be answered below:
- Are there any changes to uniform rules? We ask that all pupils wear school uniform except for the days where they have PE – on PE days children should wear a tracksuit and trainers. This avoids the need for PE kits in school. Each year group’s PE day is shared on our website https://www.liscard.wirral.sch.uk/website/welcoming_all_children_back_in_september_2020/498833
- Are there any rules around lunchtimes or will they be as normal? Children will eat their lunches in their classroom to ensure that ‘pods/bubbles’ do not mix. If your child is eligible for Free School Meals or is in F2, Year 1 or Year 2, (eligible for an Universal Infant Free School Meal) our Catering Team will be providing school meals but they will all be in the form of a packed lunch. Lunches for children in Years 3 to 6 can also be provided by the Catering Team – these will need to be paid for by parents/carers online using Arbor. All groups will have an allocated time to play outdoors (subject to weather conditions).
- Do children need to bring their own stationery? No – all stationery will be provided for each individual child.
- Do children need to bring their own hand gel? No – we have a large number of hand gel stations across the school.
- How should I travel to school? Please walk if possible – remember to leave plenty of time to allow you to arrive on time. Staggered start/finish times have been introduced to minimise the number of people on site at any one time. Please see our website for the correct times https://www.liscard.wirral.sch.uk/website/welcoming_all_children_back_in_september_2020/498833
- Will I enter school the same way? We have introduced a one-way system – please adhere to this at all times to help minimise the risks for everybody – this may mean that you need to allow more time for dropping off/picking up. Please see our website for the appropriate drop off/collection points (https://www.liscard.wirral.sch.uk/website/welcoming_all_children_back_in_september_2020/498833). There will be staff around to guide you if you are unsure.
- Do I need to bring a face covering to school? Children are not expected to wear face coverings – if they prefer to wear one please ensure they bring one in with them. We would encourage parents/carers to wear a face covering whilst on the school site, to enhance the safety cautions in place.
- Do I need to come to school at the normal time? Staggered start/finish times have been introduced to minimise the number of people on site at any one time. Please see our website for the correct times (https://www.liscard.wirral.sch.uk/website/welcoming_all_children_back_in_september_2020/498833). It is really important that you arrive on time please.
- Will I have my normal lessons? Yes.
- Where can I go inside school? Children will stay in their own classroom for all lessons and to eat their lunch. Weather permitting, PE will be outside – indoor use of the school gym or hall will be used in the event of bad weather.
- Will extra-curricular clubs still be running? Unfortunately not, only our Pirates Club. The provision of other after-school clubs will be monitored and reconsidered after the autumn half term. We will keep you informed by Dojo etc.
- Will SEND children still get the same support? Yes, absolutely. If you have any concerns please speak to your class teacher.
More frequently asked questions and answers:
What about social distancing measures?
As you will know social distancing cannot be guaranteed with young children but we are putting a number of measures into place to minimise risks:
- Each year group will have an assigned entrance and exit point when arriving to and leaving school. Start and finish times will be staggered.
- There will be a one-way system operating around the school grounds- details for each year group are on our website (https://www.liscard.wirral.sch.uk/website/welcoming_all_children_back_in_september_2020/498833)Please familiarise yourself with these.
- All classrooms have been set up to ensure children are kept apart as much as possible.
- The lunch hall will not be in use as we cannot guarantee social distancing.
- No free play times- there will be structured PE/ physical activities led by staff.
Will my child be returning to school on a full time basis?
When will my child return to school?
Children return to school on Thursday 3rd September 2020.
Will my child receive a school meal or need to bring a packed lunch?
If your child is in F2, Year 1 or Year 2 they are entitled to Universal Infant Free School Meals so will not need to bring a lunch with them.
Children in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 who are entitled to Free School Meals will also be provided with a school meal.
All other children can bring their own packed lunch or pay for a school meal.
What if my child feels unwell?
Do not send your child into school if they are unwell. Please ring school office to let staff know they will not be in.
What happens if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 in school?
We will follow Government guidance and ensure relevant individuals are informed.
Can I meet or have a face-to-face conversation with a member of staff?
To reduce risk, we would ask you to only contact staff via Dojo, email of phone. Parents/carers are asked not to come into the school building at any time, including the main reception area. We would also encourage parents/carers to wear a face covering whilst on the school site.
Will my child be following their normal curriculum?
Yes. In the event of any child having to self-isolate, curriculum challenges will be provided to ensure learning continues.